[OS X TeX] Strange Behavior With Lucida Font

Brian Powell powellb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 21:45:47 EST 2005

Maarten,

Thank you for the reply. I do not use the lucidabr package because it
completely destroys the math mode fonts. I am not sure why this is. I
am using Gerben's latest Tex install with the lucida package it comes
with.

If I include the preamble you attached (which is what I tried first),
the equations do not render at all. If I add
\usepackage{euler}
afterwords, the math renders somewhat correctly but spacing,
integrals, and other characters are missing.

To avoid this, I put my own \renewcommand lines in to just substitute
the fonts I wanted rather than include the lucidabr package which
ruins everything.

> For the sans serif version, I use Lucida; however, wherever there are
> two f's in the document such as "different", the two f's do not
> appear.
>
> In the preamble when using the "screen" version, I have:
>
> \usepackage{euler}
> \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{hlh}
> \renewcommand{\sfdefault}{hls}
> \renewcommand{\ttdefault}{hlst}
> \renewcommand{\bfdefault}{b}
> \renewcommand{\familydefault}{\sfdefault}

use the official Lucida package instead?

> Any suggestions or ideas as to why the entire document renders
> perfectly except for "ff"?

ligatures are probably stored in a different location than tex expects
them to be.
AFAIK, the lucida fonts are not available in OT1 encoding, so try the
following:
(BTW: I'm talking about the official Y&Y Lucida + Lucida New Math
release, are you
using he same?)

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[lucidascale,nofontinfo]{lucidabr}
\renewcommand{\familydefault}{\sfdefault}

Does that help?

--
Cheers,
Brian