[OS X TeX] Hyphenation issue.

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Feb 9 07:08:46 EST 2005

On 9 Feb 2005, at 11:45 am, Andrea Riciputi wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm writing my Ph.D. thesis (of course in english), and I've problem
> with hyphenation. Some words are not correctly hyphenated, here there
> are some examples:
>
> projc-ted ... instead of ... pro-jected
>
> grav-itational ... instead of ... gra-vitational
>
> numer-ical ... instead of ... numeri-cal
>
> and so on. Now, English is not my mother tongue, but in my
> understanding Babel package (that I use with
> \usepackage[english]{babel}) would manage the hyphenation correctly,
> but actually it doesn't. Clearly I'm missing something, or I didn't
> understand how Babel works. Could anyone give me some insight in this
> topic??

There are different hyphenation conventions in the UK and USA; it looks
as though your system is configured for "english" to mean "british" by
default. You can explicitly give [british] or [american] instead of
[english], to tell it which to use. Results for the words you mention:

\usepackage[british]{babel}
     pro-jec-ted  grav-it-a-tional  nu-mer-ical

\usepackage[american]{babel}
     pro-jected   grav-i-ta-tional  nu-mer-i-cal

I notice that neither of these matches your suggestion for
gra-vitational, but I'd guess they're valid. (Note that different
dictionaries and other sources may not always agree on hyphen
positions, even within a single country!)

JK

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>