[OS X TeX] I do like ps4pdf questions

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Feb 11 00:43:51 EST 2005

Hi Roger,

On 11/02/2005, at 3:37 PM, Roger Hart wrote:

> Second, and this is a request for help, I've been having problems with
> ps4pdf rotating the entire figure when I've only (as far as I know)
> instructed it to rotate elements within the diagram. Specifically,
> when I run the following under TeX+Ghostscript, everything works fine:
>
> \xymatrix@!=0mm at R-=7mm at C-=5mm@*[c]{
> &&&&&&&|\\
> &&&&||&&&|\\
> &\overline{~||~}&&&|&&\\
> *[right]{||||} &&&*[right]{||||}&&&*[right]{||||}&\\
> }
>
> But if I run it within ps4pdf, the entire figure is rotated.
>
> \PSforPDF{
> \xymatrix@!=0mm at R-=7mm at C-=5mm@*[c]{
> &&&&&&&|\\
> &&&&||&&&|\\
> &\overline{~||~}&&&|&&\\
> *[right]{||||} &&&*[right]{||||}&&&*[right]{||||}&\\
> }}
>
> Can anyone explain this?

I can rationalize it, not explain it.

The problem is *definitely* within Ghostscript.

It seems to have a built-in routine that tries to guess
what the orientation should be. It seems to work by
counting the number of font characters that are upright
and how many are rotated.

Your example coding has 12 rotated, but only 7 upright.

I've tested this hypothesis by editing in the .ps file
to add/remove rotated characters.
When there are  <= 7, the figure is not rotated.
But when there are 8+ then  ps2pdf  rotates the whole figure.

My tests were done with  Ghostscript v8.13 .

Others may wish to test other versions.
Is there anything later ?
Or perhaps a switch to GS that disables this inanity.

> (The diagrams are ancient Chinese mathematics).
>
> Thanks very much,

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>