[OS X TeX] Replace LaTeX????

Jon Crump jjcrump at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 11 14:12:54 EST 2005

Simon,

For what it's worth, my solution to this problem (which bugs me a LOT) was
to put all the footnotes in a separate file thus:

at the top of chapterIII.tex put \input chapterIIIfootnotes.tex.

In the body of chapterIII.tex, footnotes appear thus:
\footnote{{\IIIfni}}

and in chapterIIIfootnotes.tex, thus:
\newcommand{\IIIfni} {text of the footnote which can include cross
references or anything else}

The disadvantage, of course, is that you have to keep careful track of
footnotes that are not added consecutively because your numbering scheme
in the source (ie. IIIfni: chapter III footnote one) can't use arabic
numerals and isn't ordered by a counter.

If anybody has a better way of doing this, I'd like to know. (Of course
text folding in one's editor would obviate the need for this).

Jon

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> Look, I have no problems with LaTeX, I like it a lot. At the moment, it's the
> best tool for what I need to do (which isn't fancy.I neither need math, nor
> any special scripts). But there are things which I like better in a WYSIWYG
> app: footnotes is an example. To have them in your main text is not nice IMO
> and unfortunately, none of the common LaTeX editors provide collapsable
> footnotes. I prefer to have the footnotes not intervene with my main text.
> But currently, there are too many things LaTeX does better (the combination
> of bibtex and multibib is hard to beat), but I'm always willing to try new
> things.
>
> simon
J.J. Crump
Dept. of History 353560