[OS X TeX] Boldface

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 13 08:57:42 EST 2005

On 13 feb 2005, at 14:46, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Maarten Sneep wrote:
>>  I've learned the hard way that introducing font-changing commands
>> directly in your text is a bad idea.
> (1) Could you amplify? I use a macro for
>    \textbf{#SEL#}\index{#SEL#}
> which, so far, I find quite convenient as it corresponds to a standard
> practice. Is there a drawback and, if so, what should I do instead?

This is a TeXShop (editing) macro, which is rather distinct from a
(La)TeX macro. I would define a LaTeX command:
(Assuming you use a boldface type for the first appearance of an
indexed term).
For easier editing, I would then define a TeXShop macro (never mind
that I switched to BBEdit ;) :

If you'd like to create an online version of your book, where you can
use colour for these items, you can
now change the definition in a single location, and the rest is
trivial. Just change the LaTeX macro to:
No further changes to your sources are needed.

> (2) What does #INS# mean/do? (Appeared in preceding posts.)

It determines the location of the insertion point after running the