[OS X TeX] Boldface

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 13 16:59:51 EST 2005

On 13 feb 2005, at 22:28, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> It can matter—a bit: Say you were writing about three "occurrences" of
> something and that you wanted to index "occurence".
> But this is really a shortcoming of NewTerm.
> I think that there are a couple of occurences of this in my book but I
> will change the wording around it as I come across them (in one of my
> many rereads).

Use an optional parameter:
\usepackage{ifthen}

\newcommand{\NewTerm}[2][SameInIndex]{\ifthenelse{\equal{#1}{SameInIndex
}}{%
     \textbf{#2}\index{#2}}{%
     \textbf{#2}\index{#1}}%
}

Without the optional parameter, the text and the index are the same, if
you add an optional parameter, it will be used for the index.

> What I am curious about is what the difference is between (.+?) and
> [^}]* (I assume that this is to allow the reference \1.)

Different way of preventing that too much is replaced. {.+?} will
select everything within braces, but the question mark makes it
non-greedy, it will match as little as possible. The second form
{[^}]*} will select a brace, everything that is not a brace, and then a
brace again. I find the first easier to read. The parentheses are there
to store the results that are found in a numbered variable for later
reuse (either in the search pattern, or in the replacement pattern).
You could use {([^}]*)}, but I guess this just shows why I prefer the
first option.

With the above alternate command: try the following:

Search:
     \\textbf{(.+?)}\\index{\01}
Replace:
     \\NewTerm{\01}