[OS X TeX] Celsius

Josep M.Font pepf54 at tiscali.es
Tue Feb 15 14:52:34 EST 2005

El 15 feb 2005, a las 18:41, Peter S. Burrage escribió:

> I'm sure I'm making some silly mistake

Yes, you are ;-)

> but when I use SIunits and \celsius I lose the space between ^oC and
> the following word.
[...]
> at 37\celsius and 5\% CO$_{2}$  -->  at 37oCand 5% CO2

\celsius is an ordinary (La)TeX command, and you will find the same
effect with other text-producing commands. You have to add the space
manually, e.g., 37\celsius\ and..., or say 37{\celsius} and ... The
command's definition cannot solve this, because you will also want to
use it in places where no space is allowed, e.g., when a punctuation
symbol follows it: 37\celsius, and ... or in formulas, etc.

BTW, this does not happen  with \% because this a one-character
command, which is treated differently by TeX... If you write 5\%CO you
will get rid of the space.

Hope this helps...

JMaF

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>