[OS X TeX] Dental problem

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Fri Feb 18 12:56:30 EST 2005

Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 18 feb 2005, at 17:28, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> I agree that it will—I didn't know that—but this is not the problem:
>> I was not trying to get rid of space between columns but to
>> left-align the third table on the first two and thereby to prevent
>> the third table from sticking in the right margin.
>

> A few remarks:
> - The document you provided is inclomplete: a lot of environments are
> missing. They might be the cause of the problem.
> - Don't mess with TeX parameters, if you don't know what you're doing.
> - Please don't top-post, and trim the signatures from your message.
>
> Have you tried to put @{} at the beginning of the parameter-list for
> the tabular environment, like \begin{tabular}{@{}|c|c ...}?
>
> Maarten

-  I copied the source from my post back onto a TeXShop new file and it
typesets, showing the third table offset compared to the first two. What
do you think could be missing?
-  The only thing I could find in Companion2ed that I thought might be
somewhat relevant was, on page 104 and in reference to LaTeX' flushtext
environment, that "Another important restriction is the fact that the
settings chosen by this enviroment have no universal effect, because
some environments […] restore the alignment of paragraphs to full
justification." I thought that something like that might be happening
but even thinking about how to defeat is entirely beyond the pale as far
as I am concerned.
-  As I think I have made abundantly clear in the past, I have
absolutely no idea what a TeX parameter is and would never even consider
messing with them. I am missing your point.
-  I did "put @{} at the beginning" and it does nothing.
-  Being keen on "when in Rome, do as the Romans do", I had surveyed
what the custom on this list is but did not see any pattern. When
replying to you, though, I will make sure not to top-post as this is the
very least I can do.

Best regards
--schremmer
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>