[OS X TeX] TeXShop, perl and utf-8 encoding problems

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Feb 20 06:59:26 EST 2005

Le 20 févr. 05, à 11:43, Stephen Moye a écrit :

> I have written a perl script that converts TeX-style accents (eg \"o)
> to their equivalents (ö). This is to convert a large number of
> Textures documents for use with TeXShop/XeTeX.

This is not strictly necessary: the LaTeX package utf8accents.sty, by
Ross Moore, downloadable from XeTeX's Related Packages page
<http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?
site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex_related>, does on-the-fly conversion taking
away the necessity to edit your Textures files beforehand. It also
redefines most (if not all) LaTeX control sequences producing
alphabetic or non alphabetic characters, to use the corresponding
character from the current Unicode font (like Lucida Grande, etc.).

There's also the option "mapping=tex-text" when calling a font,
complementary to the use of utf8accents.sty, as in

	\DeclareFontShape{U}{optima}{m}{n}
	  {<-> "Optima\space Regular:mapping=tex-text"}{}

I don't remember exactly which, in mapping=tex-text and
utf8accents.sty, does what, but with the combination of the two you're
most likely to be able to typeset your original Textures files without
much pre-processing.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>