[OS X TeX] TeXShop, perl and utf-8 encoding problems

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at cox.net
Sun Feb 20 07:28:30 EST 2005

On Feb 20, 2005, at 5:49 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 20 feb 2005, at 11:43, Stephen Moye wrote:
>
>> I can open the perl-created files in BBEdit and save them out with
>> unicode/utf-8 encoding, but this changes the accented characters to
>> something else (ç becomes radical and German esset) which, however,
>> does typeset and display correctly with TeXShop/XeTeX.
>
> Try to open them in BBEdit as UTF-8, or use "Reopen using Encoding"
> from the file menu once open. If the unicode is invalid you'll get a
> warning.
>
> (I would also recommend the application Cyclone
> (http://free.abracode.com/cyclone/Cyclone_Read_Me.html) to do batch
> encoding conversions, much less likely to cause errors).

I have used both Cyclone and (as I pointed out earlier) BBEdit to
attempt this conversion. The problem is that the accented characters
become human-unreadable in TeXShop. This is all the more irritating in
that TeXShop clearly knows how, in a new document, to take a ç typed
from the keyboard and typeset a ç.

Is it too much to ask of a computer program to have it say: "Ah, this
fellow is using MacOSEncoding and has typed a ç; I just happen to know
that that is Unicode 00E7, and that's what I'm going to give him."

Frustrated.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>