[OS X TeX] aux files

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Feb 20 11:12:47 EST 2005

On 20 Feb 2005, at 3:30 pm, nachman wrote:

> Folks,
>
> This is probably an OS X question.  On occasion, using XeLateX to make
> text for slides for Keynote, TeXShop has a problem and runs off the
> deep end, generating a masssive log file.  OK, I can live with this.
> But after forcing TeXShop to quit I sometimes have a log file that
> fills up half my hard disk.  Trashing the file is possible, but
> emptying the trash is not.  Even after quitting TeXShop I get a "in
> use"  error message.  How do I get rid of those files without a
> complete reboot?

It's not TeXShop itself that is creating the log file, it's the
xe(la)tex process. That may explain why after force-quitting TeXShop
you can't actually delete the log file. It might be better to use
/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor (or the "kill" command in a
Terminal window) to locate and kill the xelatex process if you get in
such a loop.

As for the underlying cause, this sounds like it's probably caused by
the XeTeX "[][][][][][]...." bug, which has been discussed on the XeTeX
mailing list a few months back. This will be fixed in the next release
of XeTeX, but for now it can be avoided by ensuring that the
extra_mem_bot setting in texmf.cnf is zero for the xetex/xelatex
engines. See the first item at:
	http://scripts.sil.org/xetex_faq
for more information.

(If that's *not* the problem that's leading to the massive logs, then
I'd like to know more about this particular case, as it could be a
separate bug that I don't yet know about.)

HTH,

Jonathan

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>