[OS X TeX] TeXShop, perl and utf-8 encoding problems

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sun Feb 20 19:23:32 EST 2005

On 20 Feb 2005, at 10:50 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> There's also the option "mapping=tex-text" when calling a font,
>> complementary to the use of utf8accents.sty, as in
>>
>> 	\DeclareFontShape{U}{optima}{m}{n}
>> 	  {<-> "Optima\space Regular:mapping=tex-text"}{}
>>
>> I don't remember exactly which, in mapping=tex-text and
>> utf8accents.sty, does what, but with the combination of the two
>> you're most likely to be able to typeset your original Textures files
>> without much pre-processing.

mapping=tex-text does the non-standard CM ligature stuff like --- `` ''
etc.
utf8accents does accents and things, like \"u \% \textbullet and so on
(covering a huge range of characters)

> I am using plain TeX, so I'm not sure how this applies. Is there a
> plain TeX alternative?

You can access the font mapping with \font\tenrm="Optima
Regular:mapping=tex-text", but the utf8accents is a LaTeX package.

However, I -think- that XeTeX's font mapping should be able to handle
accents as well -- can you offer an opinion, Jonathan? I haven't looked
much into it, but as I understand the process, any arbitrary input
stream of characters can be transformed into any other stream of
characters (all in unicode, of course). So I don't see why \"o couldn't
be turned into ö at this stage (oh, probably because it's a last minute
substitution and the \" would be expanded beforehand -- yes?).

Okay, in that case it doesn't work.
Hmmf.

Will
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>