[OS X TeX] Colored words

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Feb 21 13:09:50 EST 2005

Le 21 févr. 05, à 18:17, Alain Schremmer a écrit :

> Aaron Jackson wrote:
>
>> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
>> \usepackage[pdftex]{color}
>> [...]
>
> I copy pastd the above but the console says "Undefined color 'green'."
> (Same for the other colors)

Aren't you, by any chance, typesetting in TeX + GhostScript mode (while
the above passes the option [pdftex] on to the color package, hence
defining colors based on pdfTeX-specific instructions)?

> I am totally out of my detph here so I must bother you again.
> (By the way what is the difference between \usepackage[pdftex]{color}
> and \usepackage{color} which is what I have been using so far?)

In case you're using TeXShop in pdfTeX mode: no difference at all. In
case you're using TeXShop in TeX + GhostScript mode: a significant
difference, since \usepackage{color} = \usepackage[dvips]{color}
implicitly in this case.

What's used here is code in
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/color.cfg,
detecting whether pdfTeX or dvips is used, and selecting automatically
the appropriate option for the color package.

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>