[OS X TeX] TeXshop and Makefiles/preprocessor and multiple .tex files

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 22 07:09:01 EST 2005

On 22 feb 2005, at 12:49, Johan Glimming wrote:

> Hello,
>
>>> I am using a Makefile for building my dvi,pdf,ps from LaTeX files.
>>> The reason for this is that I use a preprocessor which first
>>> generates a file FILE.out.tex from FILE.tex from my TeX source.
>>> This preprocessor accepts some special comments such as %include etc
>>> which conform with LaTeX syntax.
>>
>> ?? confused ?? Can you give some details as to why you'd need that?
>> \input{filename} will include without starting a new page, and is
>> portable.
>
> I use the lhs2TeX package which allows me to type Haskell source code
> using
> |data List a = Nil+Cons a (List a)| bracketing, among other things.
> The %include command is needed because the preprocessor needs a way to
> expand the structure, and indeed input would work in most other cases.

You do know about the listings package to pretty print a _lot_ of
languages?

> I also split up section1.tex into subsectionN.tex. Can I then use the
> same %SourceDoc trick, and what do I point SourceDoc to in
> subsectionN.tex?

Point it to the master tex file (not the parent, although I'm not sure
how far down TeXShop searches for a master).

>> Create a typesetting engine in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines:
>> Make.engine
>
> I added this script but I get the output "nothing to be done for
> thesis.tex" after pressing "Typeset". I think the problem might be the
> path? Is Make.engine executing in the directory of the source file
> thesis.tex?

yes, it is, but add "set -o verbose" and possibly a "pwd" to the top of
the script to see what is going on exactly. The script should be
executed in the directory where the master resides with the name of the
master files as its argument.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>