[OS X TeX] Default Truetype Fonts?

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Wed Feb 23 08:39:29 EST 2005

On Feb 23, 2005, at 8:27 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 23 févr. 05, à 13:50, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>
>> More general pdftex should have a switch to embed or not to embed a
>> font set. I have a PostScript 3 printer with more than 100 built-in
>> fonts I wouldn't need to download ... (I only need to re-write my map
>> file for that purpose)
>
> But there's the case when a document is distributed or transferred
> electronically: you want to make sure any recipient of the document
> will be able to view or print it, and that the printout will be
> exactly identical to what you created on your computer (i.e. no
> replacement of Times by Times New Roman, of Helvetica by Arial, etc.,
> as Adobe Reader does, for example). For this I think embedding of any
> font is the only way.

Yes!  I tried a little experiment once.  I used the mathptm package and
made a pdf on my mac without embedding the Times fonts.  I then opened
the same document on a PC and looked at the font information.
Apparently, PCs don't use Times, they use Times New Roman.  So the
Times font was silently substituted with Times New Roman.  Of course,
there's  not much difference between the two fonts so most people would
never notice, but there is a difference.  The moral: embedding fonts is
the only way that you are sure that a document will look and print the
same no matter who opens it.

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>