[OS X TeX] migration from Fink to Gerben Wierda's TeX

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Feb 24 23:28:26 EST 2005

On 2/24/05 8:56 PM, "Joseph C. Slater" <joseph.slater at wright.edu> wrote:

> Every once in a while, I run into some accidental dependency with Fink
> that requires in install of tetex. Every once in a while, I try to
> remove it. However, I'm paranoid enough to enjoy the comfort of having
> a second installation available if the first becomes corrupted for some
> reason while I must have it, but can't reinstall easily (i.e.
> travelling), or don't immediately have time. My computer is full of
> redundant software.

Howdy,

I solved the problem by having a small, portable 30GB Hard Drive and using
Carbon Copy Cloner (freeware/donationware) or SuperDuper! (shareware) and
making a bootable copy of my complete system. Once you've got aa copy it
only takes 10-15 minutes for the programs to update that copy so I'll do
that once a day. Then, if a problem occurs I can boot off the external drive
(Oh how wonderful OS X is compared to Windoze here - I've even booted off my
iPod although that isn't recommended), clean up the internal drive and clone
a bootable drive back over. Works great and has saved me once. Lovely not to
have to reinstall software, etc.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>