[OS X TeX] wp2latex on os x

Jan Anderssen jan at linguist.umass.edu
Fri Feb 25 13:07:27 EST 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 10:54 AM, Noah Diewald wrote:

> Has anyone had any luck compiling wp2latex on OS X?  I saw a
> discussion of failures at one point but never any reports of success.

thanks to the help of jara fojitik, the author of wp2latex, it compiles
quite easily on os x now.

there are some questions re: further improvements at the end of the
email - maybe somebody knows an answer.

ok, here's the mini install how-to:

download wp2latex at
http://www.penguin.cz/~fojtik/wp2latex/wp2latex.htm (i used version
3.18 linked from that page)

unzip the file and cd to the folder

run configure

 > ./configure

fix the file sources.cc/atoms/include/common.h according to faq #6 (in
the file wp2latex.faq):

The easiest way for you is to edit file:
and add following line into the file:
     #define __Ellipsis_Expand_Short
and recompile your project.

< #define __Ellipsis_Expand_Short

add || defined(__APPLE__) in line 7 of the file

< #if defined(_MSC_VER) || defined(__CYGWIN32__)
 > #if defined(_MSC_VER) || defined(__CYGWIN32__) || defined(__APPLE__)

compile the sources

 > make

edit the install path for your latex files in sources.cc/makefile line
235 ff.
on my computer (standard gwtex :)) that amounts to changing the
following, but paths might be different for you:

<       @echo "Attempting to install wp2latex styles into
<       mkdir -p /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/wp2latex
<       cp ../styles.tex/*.* /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/wp2latex/
 >       @echo "Attempting to install wp2latex styles into
 >       mkdir -p /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/wp2latex
 >       cp ../styles.tex/*.*

install things

 > sudo make install

see whether it works

 > rehash
 > cd test
 > wp2latex equation.wp
 > latex equation.tex
 > dvipdf equation.dvi
 > open equation.pdf

hopefully everything worked. nice, doesn't it?

good luck!

if you want to help out, i'll attach part of the message i got from the
author below.