[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package release in *EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Sun Feb 27 12:52:36 EST 2005

On Feb 27, 2005, at 11:36 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> I think the HOME directory is a bad idea because it is often part of a
> back up. Suddenly adding 25MB to such a back-up (compiled formats) is
> generally not popular.
>
> OTOH, the i-Packages live in ~/Documents, are far larger. But these
> can be thinned and still work.

	As you point out, the current placement of files by the i-Installer
does complicate (or at least lengthen) one's back-up process.  Is there
a reason why these files are not placed in, say, ~/Library/Application
Support?  In addition to the practical issue above, from a
philosophical perspective I think the only things that should be in
~/Documents are things the user placed there explicitly.  (Yes,
Microsoft and Adobe, I am glaring at you!  At least I have figured out
how to make Stata behave....)

> It could be in ~/.texmf-config (which is close to what teTeX now has
> by default), be in the HOME directory but still separate from
> ~/Library/texmf

	I'm not crazy about the proliferation of
~/.something_invisible_to_the_Finder/ directories either ('though I
understand their Un*x heritage), and would find ~/Library/something
preferable, FWIW.  Again, it often is easier to just backup ~/Library
as needed than to additionally worry about tracking down "out-of-sight,
out-of-mind" directories.  Just my (rapidly depreciating) $0.02.

                                         -- Mike

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>