[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package release in *EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory

Doug Fields dfields-macosx-tex-0205 at pexicom.com
Sun Feb 27 12:57:53 EST 2005

> I think the HOME directory is a bad idea because it is often part of a
> back up. Suddenly adding 25MB to such a back-up (compiled formats) is
> generally not popular.

I find this humorous because I like things in the HOME because it is
backed up, and G likes it out of it because it is stuff he would prefer
not to back up. Since I frankly don't know what the files are used for,
I'll defer to his judgment. Nonetheless, I think user-specific files
should be somewhere in HOME and not in /usr/local, even if they're
intermediate compiled data (like .o files if you're a C/C++ programmer)
that many people wouldn't care if the files disappeared.

> It could be in ~/.texmf-config (which is close to what teTeX now has
> by default), be in the HOME directory but still separate from
> ~/Library/texmf

Why not in ~/Library/texmf-config then? That follows the "Mac OS X" way
of doing things, and most people could easily omit that from their
backups if 25 megs makes a difference. Frankly, 25 megs is almost
nothing to me (I have Photoshop files which are larger); my HOME
directory size totals, now, 38 gigs and I do my backups using SyncProX
to an external 250 gig LaCie on a regular basis.

For the curious, the main components of that 38 gigs:
	Documents: 4.4 gigs of which over half is a Virtual PC disk image
	Library: 4.0 gigs (mostly Mail going back about 4 years)
	Pictures: 22 gigs (my entire digital photo library going)
	Windows backup: 3.2 gigs (Documents from my pre-Mac switch days)

Cheers,

Doug

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>