[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Package release in *EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Feb 28 04:41:51 EST 2005

> Am 27.02.2005 um 19:49 schrieb Franck Pastor:
>
>> Before installing your personal fonts, you may copy the file
>> "updmap.cfg" of your texmf.local branch to your personal
>> "~/Library/texmf/web2c" folder, and then you'll be able to do yours
>> "updmap", from your personal web2c folder, without needing all the
>> "sudo" stuff.
>
> Since the local files are earlier in the search sequence the user copy
> would be found first and so all enable and disable changes would work
> without superuser permissions. But to create the final map files for
> dvipdfm, dvips, and pdftex again a superuser is needed -- except you
> create your own ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/{dvipfm,dvips,pdftex}/updmap
> tree too!

And this is eaxctly what the new updmap/texconfig/fmtutil do for you. No
need to do all this yourself, it is now built in.

The problem for me is that the TeX i-Package assumes it is one-level
(system-only, though it can be installed user level by removing
authentication and changing install location). teTeX's new way of doing
things introduces a fundamental change in TeX in that it beceoms two-level
(user and system). How to cope with this change is what I am thinking
about.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>