[OS X TeX] Superscripts for ordinals

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Mon Feb 28 16:31:55 EST 2005

On Feb 28, 2005, at 2:47 PM, Doug Fields wrote:

> However, to continue on in this thread... If nothing exists, would
> someone give me a definition for doing something like
>
> \ss{th}
>
> or even
>
> \th{}
> \nd{}
> \st{}
> \rd{}
>
> Or even better
>
> \ord{} which checks the previous character and gives the appropriate
> superscript ordinal extension (for English, anyway; I'm sure others
> can add the iemes and whatever they want). Possibly \ord{21} which
> does the same thing but takes the information in there.

We use:

% Define the \nth command.
\makeatletter
\newcount\T at stCount             \newcount\TestCount
\def\nth#1{%
     \def\reserved at a##1##2\@nil{\ifcat##1n%
            0%
    \let\reserved at b\ensuremath
       \else##1##2%
    \let\reserved at b\relax
       \fi}%
     \TestCount=\reserved at a#1\@nil\relax
     \ifnum\TestCount <0 \multiply\TestCount by\m at ne \fi % subdue
negatives
     \T at stCount=\TestCount
     \divide\T at stCount by 100 \multiply\T at stCount by 100
     \advance\TestCount by-\T at stCount     % n mod 100
     \ifnum\TestCount >20 \T at stCount=\TestCount
       \divide\T at stCount by 10 \multiply\T at stCount by 10
       \advance\TestCount by-\T at stCount   % n mod 10
     \fi
      \reserved at b{#1}%
        \textsuperscript{\ifcase\TestCount th%    0th
                         \or   st%                1st
                         \or   nd%                2nd
                         \or   rd%                3rd
                         \else th%                nth