[OS X TeX] Converting graphics files

David Arnold darnold at northcoast.com
Mon Jan 3 01:10:06 EST 2005

All,

I have an encapsulated postscript file with a weird name: Fig1.2.1

The filename is correct. It doesn't have the usual .eps extension.

Now, my problem.  In TeXShop, if I add these lines to my file:

\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{epstopdf}

Next, I compile using pdflatex. I get this error message:

!Latex Error: Unknown graphics extension: .2.1

Now, it's clear what this means, but I am not in a position to change
the name of the file.

As a workaround, I tried converting the file to pdf manually with:

epstopdf --outfile=Fig1.2.1.pdf Fig1.2.1

Now, if I remove the lines:

\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{epstopdf}

And compile using pdflatex, I still have a problem. In my log file I
see:

File: Fig1.2.1 Graphic file (type eps)
  <Fig1.2.1> [8
Non-PDF special ignored!]

And, of course, the graphic doesn't show up in my file.

I am pretty sure this has to do with the periods in the filename, which
were not my choice, but my publisher's.

Anybody have some suggestions that would help? Preferably, a way around
this without changing the filenames?

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>