[OS X TeX] Word count function?

Peter Pagin peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se
Tue Jan 18 06:22:17 EST 2005

Here is a proposal: 'E' is one word, a context department singular term;
'=' is one word, a two-place predicate; 'm' is one word, a context
dependent singular term, 'c' is one word, a constant singular term, and
'^2' is one word, a mathematical function expression. All in all, this
gives us five words. The multiplication function is not represented by
any word of the surface string, but is implicit in the construction.

Best,
Peter

Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2005, at 5:40 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>> Any means of automated counting is bound to be inacurate: please
>> count the number of words in $E = mc^2$.
>

> Yes, math is not counted but I can't blame excalibur.  I wouldn't know
> how many words to assign to a math expression... We can only count
> words (automatically or manually), if we know what words are.
>
> Themis

> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

Professor
Department of Philosophy, Stockholm University
106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
tel: +46-8-162813, fax: +46-8-152226
email: peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>