[OS X TeX] Word count function?

Peter Pagin peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se
Tue Jan 18 05:48:34 EST 2005

I wouldn't have thought that the inclusion of page numbers is a serious
problem for a word count. Assuming that each page numeral occurrence is
one word, deduct the number of pages of the output from the word count
result.

Best,
Peter

Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 18 jan 2005, at 2:12, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

>>> Didn't claim it is precise. [...] If it is mostly text, maybe the
>>> inaccuracy wouldn't be so serious.
>>

>> Excalibur will count fairly accurately w/o including latex commands.
>> You can invoke it through texshop via an applescript. I use the
>> following (copied directly from the Macros menu):
>

> Any means of automated counting is bound to be inacurate: please count
> the number of words in $E = mc^2$. Besides: if you use a bibliography,
> the number of words will be seriously underestimated, unless detex
> includes the .bbl files for you (the command \bibliography{} will
> introduce many pages). More commands that introduce significant
> lengths of text are known to exist.
>
> There is a trick that might work to some extend (leaving the maths as
> an unresolved issue): count the number of words in the output of
> dvi2tty instead of detex. Since this counts the words in the output of
> TeX, it is likely to generate a more accurate result, although it
> still leaves the problem of page numbers. To get around that issue:
> use tex4ht and count the words in the html output.
>
> Maarten

> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

Professor
Department of Philosophy, Stockholm University
106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
tel: +46-8-162813, fax: +46-8-152226
email: peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>