[OS X TeX] Fragile Commands [Was: how to convert .doc to .TEX?]

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jan 19 17:52:19 EST 2005

On 1/19/05 4:07 PM, "Claus Gerhardt" <gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de>
wrote:

> In Lamports book it is explicitly stated that fragile commands should
> be protected when used in sectioning commands. Thus I would recommend
> to use \textit instead of \emph in section commands and be done with
> it.
>

> Claus

Howdy,

But the \emph{} command doesn't seem to be fragile. I think most of these
simple commands were fixed up. The \emph{} command as redefined by pdfsync
is fragile; and Jerome know that already.

To see one reason why \emph{} is nicer than and different from \textit{}
compile the file below and look at the headers on page 2 and 3.

\documentclass{article}
\pagestyle{headings}
\begin{document}
\tableofcontents
\section{The First \emph{Section} is Here}
Text, text, text.
\newpage
\section{The Second \textit{Section} is Here}
Text, text, text.
\newpage
\section{The Third \emph{Section} is Here}
Text, text, text.
\end{document}

The switch to upright is automatic with \emph{} when surrounded by slanted
text.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>