[OS X TeX] Fragile Commands [Was: how to convert .doc to .TEX?]

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Wed Jan 19 19:18:04 EST 2005

On 20 Jan 2005, at 10:28 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> I hadn't noticed pdfsync.sty does redefine \emph. For sure it makes it
> fragile. About whether \emph is already fragile in standard LaTeX 2e,
> I'm not sure; being at home with no copy of Lamport's LaTeX manual, I
> can't check.

Surely it is not. What would be the correct way to "un-fragile" the
pdfsync definition of \emph? Would it be enough to say:
      \global\def\emph{{\protect\@PDFSYNC}\PDFSYNC at emph}%
or should the definition of \@PDFSYNC itself be altered?

> Things also seem to change, with more and more commands becoming
> robust in successive LaTeX 2e releases. I remember that originally all
> \ref commands in a figure caption had to be \protect'ed (like in a
> figure caption referencing another figure), and at some point suddenly
> it ceased to be so.

As far as I know, the eventual aim (i.e., LaTeX3) is to eliminate
fragile commands entirely, making it impossible to create them. Them
guys sure are clever.

Regards,
Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>