[OS X TeX] Getting Finder to Refresh

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jan 21 18:14:18 EST 2005

On 1/21/05 4:18 PM, "Claus Gerhardt" <gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de>
wrote:

> Herb,
>
> This was your original question
>
> will convert all the .pgn's to .tex's) but the Finder takes it bloody
> time
> to refresh and show the new .tex files in the folder. Is there a shell
> command I can add to the script to tell the Finder to refresh window
> contents?
>
> That is exactly what the Finder does, showing the contents of a folder.
> If the file is e.g., a .tex file then a corresponding editor is going
> to display it and eventually to update it, not the Finder. Thus, what
> do you want to update and which application should do it?
>
> I assume that you want the folder window to be updated, then get its
> path, the best is to use the shell command
>
> dirname "path of test"
>
> Claus

Howdy,

After creating the .tex files in the same directory as the ,pgn files via
the shell script (or the Dropscript which is just a GUI wrapper over the
shell script) the files don't show up in the window (or on the desktop, if
that is where they are) for a very long time. I wanted to kick the Finder
into looking at the contents of the directory and forcing a quick display.
With everyone's help I got a osascript command embedded in the shell script
that seems to do that.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>