[OS X TeX] Incorrect fontsmpl?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jan 22 12:27:02 EST 2005

Hello!

Since years (0.25) I am struggling with converting TrueType fonts to
PostScript fonts which then can be introduced to TeX with fontinst.
Looking relaxed on some fontsmpl's and nfssfont's I see differences
between OT1 and T1 fonts -- and that monospaced fonts make one more
exception.

In OT1 \l and \L are not printed as ł and Ł but as '␣l' or '␣L' (with
the symbol for a visual space) -- and \textendash and \textemdash are
displayed as '|' and ‘{' in fontsmpl.tex. And \H does not put a
hungarumlaut on a character but combines it with '}', \. does not put a
dot on a character but puts it on an '_'.

And there are the quotes! \textquotedblleft is quoted as '\',
\textquotedblright is `"´, and \textquotedbl is reported as not
existing -- shouldn't it be simply `"´? Shouldn't \textquotedblright be
reported as not existing? This happens for OT1. In T1 I see something
that can't be described other than as a bug: when quoting
\textquoteleft or \textquoteright I do not see as I do in OT1 ``´ or
`´´ but ˵´ and `˶, as ligatures (at the right height)!

Is this my beta test TeX (pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.20b-rc5-2.2 (Web2C
7.5.3))? Is this fontsmpl.tex? Or is it all accepted and described as
state of the art?

--
Greetings

   Pete

How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None.
They just redefine "dark" as the new standard.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>