[OS X TeX] Incorrect fontsmpl?
curt.clifton at mac.com
Sun Jan 23 09:12:54 EST 2005
ttf2tex is great, but there is an issue with the new TL2004 directory
structure. Read below for more info...
On Jan 22, 2005, at 9:51 PM, Will Robertson wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2005, at 7:03 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> Besides this I really don't know how to select a fontsize, shape,
>> encoding, and a specific glyph, for example \l. Where come the sty
>> and fd files from? Is there more than just: "it works with pdfTeX"?
>> It works with a map entry like
>> tfmname Basefontname <fontfile.ext xx.enc
> To copy from the ttf2tex readme:
> "ttf2tex is a Bash script which generates all files required to use
> Truetype fonts with Tetex from a set of .ttf files. In short, it will
> do for Truetype fonts what fontinst's \latinfamily command usually
> does for Type 1 Postscript fonts. In addition to that, it creates map
> files and installs all files according to the Tex Directory
> I don't believe that it is as comprehensive or powerful as fontinst,
> but it certainly makes life easy. You'll need to write your own .sty
> files (not to hard, and often not necessary IMO) but I'm not sure
> about .fd files. I haven't used it for a long time -- since XeTeX came
> I suggest you read the documentation from
> ttf2tex also works with TrueType-based OpenType fonts, although I've
> had less luck with this if the font is complex or provided by Apple or
> MS (both who seem to cripple the fonts distributed with the OS to
> prevent this sort of thing).
I recently used fontforge and ttf2tex to install Mac OS X's Optima font
for use with pdflatex, there is a gotcha with the new TL2004 directory
structure. Here's a copy of the email I sent to the author of ttf2tex
that describes the process, the problem, and the solution:
I used your ttf2tex to successfully converted Mac OS X's Optima font to
a ttf for use with pdflatex. The process went fairly well. Your
documentation was excellent and I'm very pleased with the results.
However, I wanted to share one "gotcha".
My basic process was:
- Use fontforge to open the regular, bold, italic, and bold-italic
variants from the Optima.dfont file and generate the files lopr16.ttf,
lopb16.ttf, lopri16.ttf, and lopbi16.ttf.
- Use `sudo ttf2tex --install --foundry linotype --font optima lop` to
install the files in texmf.local
- Run `sudo updmap --enable Map=lop.map` to enable the map
- Run `sudo updmap` (not sure if this was necessary, but the previous
updmap didn't seem to do all the work I would have expected)
Here's the "gotcha": At this point the font definition file was being
found by pdflatex but the .enc file named in lop.map was not being
found. It turns out that ttf2tex generates the TL2003 tree format
instead of the new TL2004 format. So I had to:
- Run `/usr/bin/ruby
--fixtexmftrees --force ~/Library/texmf`
This had the effect:
...texmf.local/pdftex/config/lop.map is moved to
...texmf.local/pdftex/config/T1-OSF.enc is moved to
(several other .enc files were moved)
I checked on CTAN and there doesn't seem to be an updated version of
ttf2tex for the new tree structure.
I read through the actual ttf2tex script and saw that the variable:
is used for the relative location of both the .map file and the .enc
files. Unfortunately it seems that maps and encodings go in separate
locations in the new TeXLive directory structure. Maps go in
"fonts/map/pdftex/config" while encodings go in
"fonts/enc/pdftex/config". So it looks like non-trivial editing of the
ttf2tex script is required, probably just adding another variable and
using it in the appropriate places.
It's been a couple of weeks and I haven't heard back from Mr. Lehman
--------------------- Info ---------------------
Mac-TeX Website: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
& FAQ: http://latex.yauh.de/faq/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>
More information about the MacOSX-TeX