[OS X TeX] Linguists' trees and (pdf)LaTeX

Stephen Anderson stephen.anderson at yale.edu
Tue Jan 25 14:53:07 EST 2005

Many linguists use Emma Pease's tree-dvips package to draw tree
structures.  this does its work via PS \special command, and so is
incompatible with pdf(la)tex, XeTeX, etc.  Recently I asked on this
list if any replacements were available, and the only responses I got
either didn't really meet this specialized need or just said "let me
know if you find something".

This morning the following message from Ralf Vogel <
rvogel at ling.uni-potsdam.de > appeared on the Linguist mailing list:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> About 4 years ago, I wrote a couple of macros for the drawing of
> linguistic
> tree structures with LaTeX which I made available to the public via my
> webpage under the name 'xyling'. Only recently, when my old web
> account was
> closed, I came to notice that these macros are used much more
> frequently
> than I thought.
>
> As I do not know the users of xyling, I want to use this channel to
> announce that the package is on the web again in a new much more
> elaborated
> version:
>
> http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/~rvogel/xyling
>
> I have extended the macro package in many ways, and I also made  it
> easier
> to handle. If you are using xyling, the new version 1.0 is certainly
> worth
> looking at. The documentation is also completely rewritten.

A quick look suggests that this was just about exactly what I was
looking for - it seems to include most of the capabilities of
tree-dvips, and was explicitly designed to replace that package and its
dependence on PS.

Apologies for duplication if Ralf has already posted to this list, or
if everyone interested also subscribes to Linguist.

--
Steve Anderson

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>