[OS X TeX] Good bye!

Arno Kruse arnokruse at macnews.de
Sun Jan 30 13:30:31 EST 2005

Am 30.01.2005 um 18:31 schrieb cormullion:
<snip>
>  I’ve started TeX-ing last week and have been finding the learning
> curve precipitous to say the least. Nevertheless, I’ve been able to
> use my nice OS X fonts without problems.

"Die Botschaft hör´ ich wohl, allein, mir fehlt der Glaube."

> To my surprise I found that the following TEX file worked for me
> immediately (after downloading _only_ tex-fat.dmg and Xetex) in
> TeXShop:
>
> %&program=xelatex
> %&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage{geometry}
> \geometry{a4paper}
> \font\1="Skia Regular" at 18pt
> \font\2="Hoefler Text" at 12pt
> \font\3="Times Roman" at 14pt
> \font\4="Optima Bold" at 28pt
> \font\5="Andale Mono" at 8pt
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \1 what do you think of this!
>
> \2 and what do you think of this!
>
> \3 and what do you think of this!
>
> \4 this is one of my favourite fonts
>
> \5 this is ideal for listings and stuff
>
> \end{document}

It worked with many fonts I tried out - fascinating. Where did you get
the informations about the syntax

> \font\1="Skia Regular" at 18pt

from?
Jonathan Kew really seems to be a genius.
Now I´d like to read a comprehensible introduction how to use XeLaTeX.

> (Will Robertson’s example didn’t work for me - presumably because I
> haven’t downloaded fontspec?).

Yes, and you need utf8accents.sty too.

> I’m not too sure what you’re actually typing in those \font lines. Is
> it the display name, or the file name, or what?

The display name, but sometimes TeX shows its unfriendly side and
grumbles "ATSUI font not found" anyhow. But this behaviour I am used
to, it does not matter a lot.

Arno

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>