[OS X TeX] XeTeX and unicode characters

Peter Pagin peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se
Mon Jan 31 04:17:18 EST 2005

Thanks again, Jonathan and Herb,
indeed I was using CM. I had copied in only the two first lines from
Herb's original suggestion since I didn't think the problem had anything
to do with choice of font. There is much to learn. I'll try it with
another font later today.

Best,
Peter

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> What font(s) are you using, then? I'm guessing that perhaps your
> document is still using the CM fonts; that won't work for real Unicode
> text in XeTeX, because those fonts do not support extended-Latin
> Unicode characters.
>
> (LaTeX with "\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}" deals with them by mapping
> the UTF-8 byte sequences to LaTeX control sequences that construct
> accented characters, etc., from the individual glyphs in the CM fonts.
> Which works fine, but is specific to those particular fonts, which use
> their own unique encoding schemes, not Unicode.)
>
> To use Unicode text with XeTeX, you should also select a
> Unicode-compliant font that supports the ranges of Unicode characters
> that you're interested in using. For the accented letters used in
> common European languages, any of the standard OS X fonts should be fine.
>
> Jonathan

> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

Professor
Department of Philosophy, Stockholm University
106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
tel: +46-8-162813, fax: +46-8-152226
email: peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>