[OS X TeX] LaTeX Books

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Fri Jul 1 15:59:44 EDT 2005

Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 24 Jun 2005, at 17:29, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> pro and con of doing graphics "within" LaTeX.
>
> Pro: any labels that appear within your figure will match the main
> body text.
> Con: not wysiwyg (may be a pro, though for figures I'm not so sure
> there are many who will argue in favour).

What about WarmReader?

>> The only drawback I can see to doing graphic "without" and using
>> "include" as I am doing is having figures in dozens of separate pdf
>> files which might complicate downloads.
>
> Although I still have all figures in separate files. It is a matter of
> organisation in the file-system (and don't let anyone tell you you
> don't need that with SpotLight).

As an aside, it seems to me that devices like SpotLight (but I am still
with Panther) and Google mail presuppose that you know specifically what
you are looking for so they will find it for you … once you have
specified it. But sometimes I just want to look at what is there, if
only to muse and perhaps get an idea. In the latter case, nothing beats
having the stuff in some folder.

>> On the other hand, if there were a converter from one of Intaglio's
>> output formats to LaTeX, /that/ would be /very/ nice to use at the end.
>
> If you're happy with exporting Intaglio to pdf, by all means go for it.

I am because Intaglio remembers the way Save A Copy As … saved and, if
you set it that way, will save the file as cropped pdf.

By the way, Dave "Novalis" Turner, GPL Compliance Engineer, wrote to me
that "PDF is NOT considered to be suitable for revising the document
straightforwardly" but that "[he thought] the Intaglio files would be
Transparent copies".

Best regards
--schremmer
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>