[OS X TeX] use of bibtex

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Sun Jul 3 02:58:02 EDT 2005

Dear all,

this is as much a philosophical a question as a technical, but since
there are so many users of bibtex here, this might be a good place to
get help.

I am thinking about setting up something like a database for my
bibliographic stuff. The bibtex format seems like a not too bad
choice since it's very structured, and you can put your own comments
into one field. So my fist philosophical question is: does that sound
like a feasible idea, is bibtex a good tool for this. However,
there's also a couple of mire technical questions:

1. Can you pretty-print/typeset an entire bibtex-database INCLUDING
the comments?

2. I constantly print bibliograhpies for certain topics (for the
students in my classes). Is there a convenient way to choose the
entries froma bibtex file and print them in the form of a bibliography?

3. Is there any hope that bibtex will support utf-8 in the future?

I'm on the digests, so I'll be sluggish to respond to replies.

Thanks

Thomas

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>