[OS X TeX] i-installer and autotrace

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Jul 4 09:15:43 EDT 2005

On Jul 4, 2005, at 14:38, Stephen Moye wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2005, at 8:01 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

>>> Yes, freetype2 was installed, and, no, i-Installer had no complaints
>>> when I installed autotrace. I looked in /usr/local/lib and
>>> libfreetype6.dylib is indeed not there but there are these files:
>>>
>>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  1821780 Dec 31  2004
>>> /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.3.7.dylib
>>> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root  admin       23 Jul  4 05:58
>>> /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib -> libfreetype.6.3.7.dylib
>>>
>>> The closeness of the names prompts me to ask if there is a problem
>>> here.
>>>

>> I would suggest running a repair privileges on your system and
>> reboot. From this info, the installation seems correct but this is
>> typically the kind of behaviour you get when the privileges are not
>> OK.
>>

> I've been repairing privileges a lot lately, but ran it again,
> rebooted -- and got the same error. I uninstalled freetype2 and
> autotrace and reinstalled -- got the same error.
>
> Later --
>
> I've been looking at a G4 powerbook on which autotrace does work. In
> /usr/local/lib there *is* a file ibfreetype6.dylib which is missing in
> the G5 desktop that is having the problem.

The symlink was not created (or removed somehow) on your G5.

> Also missing is ibfreetype6.3.4.dylib. Grasping at straws -- is there
> a problem with i-installer and G5/Tiger?

Maybe, though unlikely. But what you can do is this:
1. Install freetype on your G5/Tiger
2. At the end of the install, create a report and mail it to me (off
list). I'll see what that tells us.
3. After the install, look at /usr/local/lib

I have updated autotrace so it checks for libfreetype6.dylib instead of
  libfreetype.dylib. Just to be sure.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>