[OS X TeX] i-installer and autotrace

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jul 4 10:23:32 EDT 2005

Le 4 juil. 05 à 16:03, Stephen Moye a écrit :

>> On Jul 4, 2005, at 15:31, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>
>>> That said, I prefer personally potrace to autotrace.
>
> I too prefer potrace, but autotrace works on a wider variety of
> file types such as tiff.

Earlier this year I traced a JPEG logo to convert it to EPS. After
much failed attempts, I used the following route:

- Use either GraphicConverter (came free on my Mac), or convert from
ImageMagick, to convert the JPEG to black-and-white BMP. I'm not sure
which of the two I used eventually. Possibly GraphicConverter, as it
provides a GUI for setting the value of the threshold used when
converting to B&W -- and seeing live the influence of this value. The
choice of the threshold has a crucial effect on the quality of the
final EPS file.

- Applied both potrace and autotrace to the BMP file independently.
Found out the output of potrace is cleaner (less tracing artifacts).

I also tried letting potrace and/or autotrace use their own
algorithms for converting the original color file to black-and-white
before tracing it: the output was much worse than with the manual
conversion.

That said, it was all before hearing Illustrator CS2 includes a
tracing algorithm. Now I probably wouldn't go that route.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>