[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT 1.3 released

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jul 22 06:26:34 EDT 2005

Le 22 juil. 05 à 11:40, Pierre Chatelier a écrit :

>> Wouldn't it work better to create the icon in an extra LaTeX
>> process for a small quadratic paper where it is made up up to a
>> few times to fit on that small page? This is than scaled down to
>> the usual icon size and used for PDF, TIFF, JPEG, PNG ... maybe
>> with the default Mac OS X symbol as a transparent background?
>>
> I think that no one would like time penalty (and yes, an extra
> LaTeX processing would be) just to get a nice icon. Keep in mind
> that this discussion about this icon is much ado for not so much ;-)
> Actually, the graphics type can be seen in the extension of the
> file. For the graphics content, I won't hide that I personnaly
> prefer my friendly icon (in the context of what these images are,
> of course), and I feel like extend its use not only to pdf and eps,
> but also jpeg, tiff and png. Unless anyone stops me for doing
> something totally silly.

Regarding the icon topic: I think taking the document icon from the
document content wouldn't be such a good idea. GraphicConverter uses
(or used, I haven't tried a recent version) to do this by default,
and it results in icons with odd proportions and/or undecipherable
content.

The Finder has the option to replace, for each window, each document
icon by the preview of the document content (using the Presentation
Options wheel-like icon in the window toolbar, and you have the
option to make it effective for either the current window or all
windows). Given that, I think it would make more sense to use either
the standard PDF icon for each saved equation, or a custom LaTeXiT
icon (my preferred solution); should the user prefer a content view
as icon, then she would always have the possibility of getting it
using the Finder.

My 2 €cents,

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>