[OS X TeX] (OT) Tiger and not Tigrrrr :-)?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jul 27 03:28:11 EDT 2005

Le 27 juil. 05 à 00:05, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> I have had a continuing battle with instabilities in Tiger.
> Occasionally the OS would spike CPU usage to 70-90% and a user
> process would not be able to respond to signals; this would show up
> as a ``xxxxx not responding'' message in Activity Monitor (I never
> needed to look in Activity Monitor and Console in any other version
> of OS X). E.g., once in a while when I would try to put my system
> to sleep the loginwindow process would take a very long time to
> come up and display the dialog box.

Regarding the freeze problem only (I think I have bothered more than
enough people on this list already with rants about Tiger's
instabilities): I can think of three possible causes, other than bugs:

- Spotlight updating its databases in the background.

- Some network activity failing silently in the background (through
all versions of OS X, I have experienced freezes or slowdowns with
some network tasks in the Finder, especially with FTP -- for example
when you click on an FTP link in Safari or Mail, and the Finder
cannot connect to the FTP server).

- Antivirus software like ClamXav scanning directories in the
background (see below).

But yes, I am also experiencing once a day, say, freezing
applications with no definite causes. Usually terminate the process
with Cmd-Alt-Esc. Happens more often on my 400 MHz/384 MB RAM/30 GB
HD PowerMac than on my 1 GHz/1 GB RAM/60 GB HD PowerBook, which makes
me think it must be connected with either of slow processor/low
memory/small disk space.

> My advice is to definitely delete all traces of Virex using the un-
> installers mentioned above if you EVER had Virex on your system.
> Now I call OS X 10.4 Tiger rather than Tigerrrr or Tigrrrr.

With Virex incompatible with Tiger, and now than ClamXav <http://
www.clamxav.com/> has reached version 1 and is more compatible with
Tiger (it doesn't fuss with the NetInfo clamav user pre-installed by
Tiger), I am using ClamXav for antivirus scanning. It can scan
folders/drives on demand, and includes a Sentry function for scanning
specified directories automatically. I have set the Sentry to scan
the Desktop (my download directory) and the various Inboxes and Junk
mailboxes of my Mail accounts.

That said, as with any virus scanner I have tried so far, this Sentry
function ends up invariably at some point with unexpected slowdowns
nay crashes, and I will probably, as always, disactivate automatic
scanning and only leave scanning on demand (for email attachments,
typically, before forwarding messages to Windows users).

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>