[OS X TeX] Missing Hebrew font (jerus10)?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jun 1 04:10:12 EDT 2005

Le 1 juin 05 à 03:37, Ben Galin a écrit :

> Question remains, how would one go about typesetting a LaTeX
> document that contains Hebrew under the teTeX/gwTeX distribution?
> I imagine that a default font is included in the distribution, and
> I have done a full install.  Could it be that something is messed
> up in the font mapping and that another font should be used rather
> than jerus?

FWIW, given I know nothing about Hebrew: the documentation user.dvi
included in teTeX (and hence gwTeX) is a crippled one; get the true
thing babel.dvi (or even better babel.pdf) from CTAN, for example
<ftp://ftp.cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/required/babel/
babel.pdf>. It contains far more details (more that you'll ever want
to know) on each language support.

In particular, the Hebrew section, starting at p. 328, is 68 pages
long. On p. 329 you'll find:

> Typesetting Hebrew texts implies that a special input and output
> encoding
> needs to be used. Generally, the user may choose between different
> available
> Hebrew encodings provided. The current support for Hebrew uses all
> available
> fonts from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem encoded in ‘old-code’
> 7-bit encoding
> also known as Israeli Standard SI-960. We define for these fonts
> the Local Hebrew
> Encoding LHE (see the file hebrew.fdd for more details), and the
> LHE encoding
> definition file should be loaded by default.
>
> Other fonts are available in windows-cp1255 (a superset of
> ISO-8859-8 with
> nikud). For those, the encoding HE8 should be used. Such fonts are,
> e.g., windows’
> TrueType fonts (once cnverted to Type1 or MetaFont) and IBM’s Type1
> fonts.
>
> However, if an user wants to use another font encoding, for
> example, cyrillic
> encoding T2 and extended latin encoding T1, — he/she has to load
> the corre-
> sponding file before the hebrew package. This may be done in the
> following way:
>     \usepackage[LHE,T2,T1]{fontenc}
>     \usepackage[hebrew,russian,english]{babel}
> We make sure that the LHE encoding is known to LATEX at end of this
> package.

and on p.381:

> 62.4 The font definition files (in LHE encoding)
> 62.4.1 Hebrew default font
> It uses Jerusalem font for regular font, Old Jaffa font for italic
> shape and small-
> caps, Dead Sea font for bold face, and Tel-Aviv for bold-italic

Thus it seems there are fonts, not included in the default teTeX,
that needs to be downloaded and installed separately. In your case,
the fonts that can be found for example at
<ftp://ftp.cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/language/hebrew/hebtex/fonts/>.
This folder contains TFM metric files, the original MF code for the
fonts (you won't need it I suppose), their bitmap PK form (not
needed) and their conversion to PFB PostScript format (that's what
you'll want to use). The installation should proceed along the
standard lines for installing fonts in gwTeX, I imagine: put the font
files at the appropriate places; run "sudo texhash" if needed; run
updmap on the appropriate .map files.

HTH,

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>