[OS X TeX] Problem with cocoAspell in Tiger

Fernando Pereira fcnpereira at mac.com
Wed Jun 1 21:01:19 EDT 2005

On Jun 1, 2005, at 8:18 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> Since I am no expert I can only speculate what could have caused
> Bruno's opposite impression, but it might be due to the different
> CPUs: Maybe one will need a G5, or even one with 2 CPUs, to take
> advantage of Tiger.

My experience with a 1.25GHz PowerBook is that Tiger is for the most
part very responsive, indeed more responsive than any Panther
release. But then I am careful about keeping only software that plays
nice. I got rid of CocoAspell, for example. My gripes are minor,
including the scrollbar problems Bruno mentioned, some inaccuracies
in message counts for IMAP Mail folders and, the worst, poor
performance when opening a large mailbox. For TeX, everything works
well, and TeXShop 2.03 is great in editing and display speed.

> Let me also add, since Bruno mentioned his PowerBook and many
> members of this list also seem to be proud owners of a PowerBook,
> that a PowerBook is certainly a nice computer, but it is not
> supposed to be a substitute for a real workstation, it is only
> meant to be a mobile solution.

I find my PowerBook with a nice 2nd display quite adequate for all
organizational, programming, writing, and presentation tasks. And I
have all my work environment with me wherever I go. For computation,
I have a machine room with Xeon and Opteron rack-mounted servers and
terabytes of disk arrays. The last thing I need is a noisy dual G5 in
the room while I'm trying to think...

-- F

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>