[OS X TeX] Re: Functionality for collaborative work in TeXShop?

Fredrik Wallenberg fwallenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 10:11:36 EDT 2005

SubEtha is great.. but it is for *simultaneous* editing. For this to
work you would have to leave a 'server' up all the time with SubEtha
running and anyone editing would need to connect to that server and
edit the shared document. Nice but not always possible.

What Word provides is a nice facility for *sequential* editing. If the
collaborators are making changes on two different copies of the
document at the same time Word does little to help you merge those
changes.

CVS/Subversion is the way to go but I found the setup difficult. One
of the coauthors on my last paper is a professor in a different
department. We don't have access to the same servers and it is
therefore hard to setup a CVS repository (I ended up checking out a
copy and sending it to him via email). What would be really nice is a
WebDav solution, but we don't have that available for security
reasons.

It seems to me that the academic community needs a SourceForge system
(it needs to allow private groups and I'm not sure SF does that).

Fredrik

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>