[OS X TeX] Re: Functionality for collaborative work in TeXShop?

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Fri Jun 3 12:05:28 EDT 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 11:01 AM, Joseph C. Slater wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2005, at 10:11 AM, Fredrik Wallenberg wrote:
>
>> SubEtha is great.. but it is for *simultaneous* editing. For this to
>> <snip>
>>
>> CVS/Subversion is the way to go but I found the setup difficult. One
>> of the coauthors on my last paper is a professor in a different
>> department. We don't have access to the same servers and it is
>> therefore hard to setup a CVS repository (I ended up checking out a
>> copy and sending it to him via email).
>> <snip>
>
> I don't understand. You can set up CVS so it can be accessed from
> anywhere. All you need is a new user and password for each person
> (although I agree that CVS setup is difficult...I have a server
> running, and I'm sure it could be set up better.)

Setting up cvs shouldn't be too hard.  On any unix (including Macos)
all that is needed is a group writable directory and a unix group that
contains the users with cvs commit privileges. This can be done on a
per project basis (one main cvs directory with subdirectories of each
project).  To set it up, just make the main cvs directory with

cvs init -d CVSDIRECTORY

Then for each project cd to an *empty* directory and

mkdir PROJECTNAME
$cvs import -m 'Initial import.' -d CVSDIRECTORY PROJECTNAME start

That's it.  The users can now use ssh to checkout and commit.

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>