[OS X TeX] bibtex8

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Jun 17 05:36:26 EDT 2005

Am 16.06.2005 um 23:24 schrieb Werenfried Spit:

> I did try to adat BIBINPUTS and BSTINPUTS. It especially puzzles me
> that bibtex (7bit) is
> capable of finding all bst-files I have, and bibtex8 can find none.
> Maybe bibtex8 uses
> a different texmf.cnf file?

Not likely ...

Hello!

I 'looked' with strings into bibtex and bibtex8. Both know of
texmf.cnf, refer to quite the same TEX environment variables and use
libkpathsea. They should work alike.

In bibtex8 I found these lines

	Warning: cannot open CS file: empty --csfile value specified.
	.csf
	c8read_csf: trying to open CS file `%s' ...
	Error: cannot open CS file: %s
	The 8-bit codepage and sorting file: %s

So you should receive either warnings in Terminal or in TeXShop's
console, at least they should be recorded in the log.file (I am no
bibtex or bibtex8 user, so I have to guess a bit).

The error is somewhere else: it's in libkpathsea! To check it, run in
Terminal for example

	kpsewhich -progname=bibtex8 <some of your BST file name>

You'll get the complete absolute path name listed. The same with a
system CSF file does not work -- no answer! 'kpsewhich --help' *does
not* mention .csf files, which could be a bug. 'kpsewhich
-show-path=.csf' therefore returns "warning: kpsewhich: Ignoring
unknown file type `.csf'."

So that's the proof that it won't work! As a work-around you could
create symlinks from your CSF files to the directory that helds the
other TeX files:

	cd <to this directory of TeX sources>
	ln -s <the path to the CSF file>
	... as many ln commands as you need ...

(you can add `.´ to the end of the ln command line, but it's not
needed). The other way is to pass the whole path name of the CSF file
to bibtex8:

	bibtex8 --help

	bibtex8 -c FILE
	bibtex8 --csfile FILE

Well, you too could write a letter to Karl Berry,
mailto:tex-k at mail.tug.org, asking him for the reason libkpathsea is not
supporting CSF files ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

   Basic, n.:
	A programming language.  Related to certain social diseases in
that those who have it will not admit it in polite company.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>