[OS X TeX] Can You Find The Class?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jun 18 17:30:49 EDT 2005

On Jun 18, 2005, at 3:56 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 18 Jun 2005, at 20:46, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Jun 18, 2005, at 1:23 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>>

>>> Below is an Applescript that reveals the documentclass, to be
>>> used in TS. You have the subroutine setnamets.scpt.
>>>

>> Thanks and I've filed it away for reference. Anything Applescript
>> is a useful tool since I've always had a difficult time getting my
>> arms, or even hands or fingers, around the syntax. I'm too much of
>> an old structured C programmer I guess.
>>

> (Python + AppScript is a very nice alternative, with a well defined
> syntax, and a learning curve that is friendly. Highly recommended
> over AppleScript).

Howdy,

I've looked at Perl (starts out reasonably simple but I think
programmers try to get you to try an guess what they're doing). I've
heard of Python and Ruby and each has its proponents. Sigh... so
little time, so much to learn.

>> I actually hoping I can find something to use within a .sty file.
>> I felt it would be nice to have the adapted pdftricks package
>> generate figure files that use the same class as the original
>> source file. Then I'd change the pdftricks to use keyval options
>> and allow the user to change that behavior with something like
>> docclass=..... from the default. It would also allow me to grab
>> more document point sizes, etc. Right now I'm just thinking out loud.
>>

> This is the type of question that will generate an answer in
> comp.text.tex on usenet, although the answer probably is: there is
> no general solution, but I have this nagging voice in my head that
> states that there is a command that yields the main document class
> name.
>
> Maarten

I've also put the question up on comp.text.tex and also hope that
there is something there. From what I've seen in latex.ltx it doesn't
look too promising although there are all sorts of convoluted things
going on there.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>