[OS X TeX] Screwed up fonts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jun 20 18:08:35 EDT 2005

Am 20.06.2005 um 16:50 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> For me many of those files that got the header 'Scanning for MixedMap
> entries' are under  'updmap: Scanning for LW35 support files' ...

Hello Michael!

I had some time to run updmap myself to study how it works and found
that it does *not* do what I described some hours ago, it works exactly
like your version.

A 'local' version of updmap.cfg is obviously needed. Otherwise whatever
MAP file you add or delete would be recorded in the system's one. And
this one most probably gets overwritten at least when you install TeX,
could be during an update too.

Your TeX file uses these PS fonts in 'normal' TeX encoding 8r: Courier
(narrow), Times (regular, bold, italic), Helvetica (regular, bold,
oblique), and Symbol, plus some Computer Modern fonts: cmmi10, cmex10,
cmsy10, and cmr10. The latter ones are defined in bsr.map, the others
in the builtin35.map or download35.map, both are located in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/.

updmap needs to be configured to either use the original Adobe fonts or
its free URW clones, and it needs to know whether you want to make
pdftex 'download' the PS fonts (needed for microtypography) or make use
of the built-in fonts. I don't know a way to make these settings on the
command line, I think you'll need to launch the i-Installer again to
'Configure Only' these things ...

--
Greetings

   Pete