[OS X TeX] LaTeX Books

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Fri Jun 24 11:29:58 EDT 2005

Paulo Ferreira wrote:

>>> BUT, there is a box called "The LaTeX Companions, Revised Set" that has
>>> both books plus "The LaTeX Graphics Companion" and "The Latex Web
>>> Companion",
>>> in a total of four LaTeX books.
>>

>> I have "both books" and I do all my graphics in Intaglio, save them
>> as pdf and "include" them. Am I missing something and should I buy
>> "The LaTeX Graphics Companion"?
>>
>> Thanks and regards
>> --schremmer
>

> Perhaps not.
>
> It depends on what kind of graphics you do, and if there is already a
> package
> of doing that kind of graphics.
> "The LaTeX Graphics Companion" is focused im "making graphics" using
> Tex and Postscript.
>
> You can see the table of contents at:

I did and I think that you are right but perhaps not for the reason you
might have thought of. /My/ reason is that XYPIC, PSTricks, and METAPOST
put the fear of the gods into me. Maybe, one day I will though. But, if
you would, could you point me toward an explanation of the pro and con
of doing graphics "within" LaTeX. The only drawback I can see to doing
graphic "without" and using "include" as I am doing is having figures in
dozens of separate pdf files which might complicate downloads. On the
other hand, if there were a converter from one of  Intaglio's output
formats to LaTeX, /that/ would be /very/ nice to use at the end.

Thanks again.
--schremmer
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>