[OS X TeX] is terminal sufficient?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jun 28 11:47:25 EDT 2005

Le 28 juin 05 à 17:25, Aaron Jackson a écrit :

> TeX, like every other ancient UNIX program, was designed to use the
> terminal because GUI's didn't exist.  The only thing that TexShop
> provides is a nice easy non-UNIX way to edit documents.  I suppose
> a purest would consider that lazy...

In Tiger, it provides also a new synchronization method (between .tex
source file and .pdf output) based on Tiger's PDF search
functionality, instead of the standard method based on inserting
specials in the output. Not as precise as Textures synchronicity
(generally to the character), but more precise that the standard
methods (to the paragraph).

It also offers a way to copy arbitrary parts of any page of the PDF
output, in PDF or JPEG, PNG, etc. format, for pasting this part in
GUI applications. For example for pasting formulas in a PowerPoint or
Keynote document.

There are also a LaTeX palette (for inserting characters or
environments) and a matrix palette (for creating tables or matrices).

There are most probably other enhancements, which I just don't
remember right now.

For more elaborate functionality and workflow control (setting up
projects, and -- I'm not sure -- using CVS, and much more) there is
iTeXMac.

You might also prefer:

- Alpha, a shareware emacs-like (but based on Tcl) editor with
elaborate LaTeX functionality. You can operate most -- or maybe all
-- of gwTex from within it.

- The various OS X ports of Emacs, which generally include AUCTeX and
sometimes more. It's difficult to say more not being an Emacs user
myself, but there's:

     Enhanced Carbon Emacs <http://www.inf.unibz.it/~franconi/mac-
emacs/> (no longer developed, but widely used)
     Carbon Emacs <http://home.att.ne.jp/alpha/z123/emacs-mac-e.html>
     Yet Another Carbon Emacs Distribution <http://
yaced.sourceforge.net/>
     AquaMacs <http://aquamacs.org/>