[OS X TeX] PDF from LaTeX and Adobe Illustrator

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 30 05:55:15 EDT 2005

Le 30 juin 05 à 11:35, Pierre Chatelier a écrit :

> Some users of LaTeXiT has reported me that when you drag'n drop a
> PDF equation generated by pdfLaTeX to Adobe Illustrator, then
> Illustrator does not consider it as a mere image, but on the
> contrary recognized the symbols, and unfortunately replace them
> using another (ugly) font.
> I have installed the Illustrator tryout version, and I could see
> that by myself.
> Do you think there is any latex option that could be used at pdf
> generation, to get rid of this problem ?

I don't think you can get rid of it: Illustrator interprets any EPS
or PDF input in terms of Bezier curves, fonts, etc., so that you can
modify it afterwards. For the type of things I do, this is
beneficial: creating mathematical curves and figures in Mathematica,
saving them as EPS and opening them in Illustrator for modification,
addition of background, of axes, annotations and so forth; or opening
PDF files for scientific papers in Illustrator, such that the figures
can be extracted (generally they are included JPEG files) and, when
these are curves, digitized to get values from them. But for other
usages that may be detrimental.

I think what you see is a bug, in that Illustrator does not recognize
fonts and/or encodings properly. A safe measure would be to use Latin
Modern fonts, for which i-Installer creates and installs OS X
versions inside /Library/Fonts/ when installing the TeX i-Package,
and to modify the LaTeXiT preambles or templates such that these
fonts are used, by adding:

     \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
     \usepackage{textcomp}
     \usepackage{lmodern}

But if that's really an encoding bug, the above won't help.

A simpler fix: save the equation to JPEG or TIFF format before
opening it in Illustrator. But then you lose the quality and
resolution-independence of PDF.

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>