[OS X TeX] Viewing PostScript in Carbon and save trees

Massimiliano Gubinelli mgubi at mac.com
Wed Mar 2 08:51:28 EST 2005

Hi.

On 2 Mar 2005, at 14:01, Johan Glimming wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been looking for a good piece of software to replace GhostView
> in Carbon. My eyes have fallen on
>
> MacGhostView - an old project it seems? Not a useful GUI in my opinion.
> PostView - which has its own PostScript renderer, which is not as good
> as
>            GhostScript in my opinion, and not as nice to navigate as
>            TeXniscope or Preview
> Preview - which unfortunately
>     creates .ps files and renders PostScript in 50% of all cases.
>     The other 50% have corrrupt characters.
> TeXniscope - very nice GUI and good navigation for PDF files, but the
>    two PostScript files I tried to opened got "No Pages" and nothing
> was
>    shown.
>
> I would prefer a real-time PostScript renderer like PostView, but
> built on top of GhostView. Maybe the best idea is to link TeXniscope
> to ghostscript?

During the last period I experimented a bit with (APFL) Ghostscript and
discovered that Ghostscript can be build as a framework on OSX,
moreover it has a nice API which allow programs like MacGhostView or GV
to interact directly with the interpreter and to send PS to a bitmap
device for on-screen rendering. I have a small example of an
interactive interpreter running with Cocoa.
I was thinking to add direct PS rendening to TeXniscope using the
Ghostscript framework. This has to wait that I have some spare time to
dedicate to programming.

Even if PS is to be considered an obsolete format (for document
exchange), it still happens to me frequently to have to deal with PS
files (people in the linux world still stick to it) so I agree that OSX
need a good PS viewer. Apple support for PS is not at the level of
other features, surely it can be done better.

Massimiliano Gubinelli

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>