[OS X TeX] What kind of operation is TeXing? (concerning hardware)

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Fri Mar 4 02:21:57 EST 2005

On 4 Mar 2005, at 5:37 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On 4 Mar 2005, at 01:40, Doug Fields wrote:
>
>>> Anyway, this is on my list. Why is TeX so hideously slow on Mac OS X
>>> (PPC)?
>>
>> Obviously I'm out of my league here as a recent convert, but, TeX
>> seems fast to me.
>
> http://www.nslog.org/latex.html
>
> A 1.3GHz PIII (7s) outpacing a 1.6GHz G5 (10s)? An 1.2GHz G4 (my
> iBook) using 18s (almost 3 times as slow as the PIII)?

It's well known that the compilers for x86 architecture are
considerably more mature (hence, produce faster output) than the PPC
ones. Using emacs for a while, I've noticed that everything seems
faster when it compiles because it uses \batchmode...but besides that
I'm not sure if there is much that can be done. Probably the new GCC
that ships with Tiger will improve things a bit.

It's certainly annoying, but then x86 users don't even have XeTeX or
pdfsync, so we've still got a couple of aces in our sleeves.

Ciao,
Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>